GPG for RB?
Carsten Friehe
2004-09-16 19:24:01 UTC
Hi!

Does anyone know of a way to include GPG in a RB Application (only Mac
OS X)? It should encode text, decode text and import keys.
Is there any class or something like that available anywhere?

Thank you!
Carsten

Search the archives of this list here:
<http://www.realsoftware.com/listarchives/lists.html>
Stefan Pantke
2004-09-16 21:15:33 UTC
Post by Carsten Friehe
Does anyone know of a way to include GPG in a RB Application (only Mac
OS X)? It should encode text, decode text and import keys.
Is there any class or something like that available anywhere?
Do you probable mean PGP (Pretty good privacy)?

Scott Forbes
2004-09-16 22:39:21 UTC
Post by Stefan Pantke
Post by Carsten Friehe
Does anyone know of a way to include GPG in a RB Application (only Mac
OS X)? It should encode text, decode text and import keys.
Is there any class or something like that available anywhere?
Do you probable mean PGP (Pretty good privacy)?
No, he means GPG -- GNU Privacy Guard, a free and open-source
replacement for PGP. As far as I know GPG has not been ported to
REALbasic, but one of the MacGPG project's goals is "to make it easy
for other developers to incorporate GnuPG functionality into their
applications," so that might be the best place to start.
<http://macgpg.sourceforge.net/>.

Cheers,
-- Scott

support-9+jg12ILN6UkMvPuQOpXZQXbj/ (Christian Schmitz)
2004-09-17 03:08:35 UTC
Post by Scott Forbes
No, he means GPG -- GNU Privacy Guard, a free and open-source
replacement for PGP.
GPL, so I bet I can't make a plugin for commercial software. or?

Mfg
Christian
--
Eight thousand functions in one REALbasic plug-in. The MBS Plugin.
<http://www.monkeybreadsoftware.de/realbasic/plugins.html>

Aaron Ballman
2004-09-17 03:13:34 UTC
Post by support-9+jg12ILN6UkMvPuQOpXZQXbj/ (Christian Schmitz)
Post by Scott Forbes
No, he means GPG -- GNU Privacy Guard, a free and open-source
replacement for PGP.
GPL, so I bet I can't make a plugin for commercial software. or?
You certainly can -- you just need to make sure the GPG library itself
has its source made available. That doesn't mean your plugin must be
open source as well since you won't be including GPG source in the
plugin itself (but using it as a library).

~Aaron

Carsten Friehe
2004-09-17 06:48:02 UTC
Hi!
Post by Stefan Pantke
Do you probable mean PGP (Pretty good privacy)?
No I mean GPG. :-)

Carsten Friehe
2004-09-17 06:48:01 UTC
Hi!
Post by Scott Forbes
No, he means GPG -- GNU Privacy Guard, a free and open-source
replacement for PGP.
That is correct!
Post by Scott Forbes
As far as I know GPG has not been ported to
REALbasic, but one of the MacGPG project's goals is "to make it easy
for other developers to incorporate GnuPG functionality into their
applications," so that might be the best place to start.
It must not be a library call. It would be enough if I can call the
shell tools from GPG.

Christer Olsson
2004-09-17 08:56:43 UTC
Post by Carsten Friehe
Hi!
Post by Scott Forbes
As far as I know GPG has not been ported to
REALbasic, but one of the MacGPG project's goals is "to make it easy
for other developers to incorporate GnuPG functionality into their
applications," so that might be the best place to start.
It must not be a library call. It would be enough if I can call the
shell tools from GPG.
Calling GPG from shell is easy, but then the user must have GPG installed.

Carsten Friehe
2004-09-17 06:50:01 UTC
Hi Christian!
Post by support-9+jg12ILN6UkMvPuQOpXZQXbj/ (Christian Schmitz)
GPL, so I bet I can't make a plugin for commercial software. or?
Oh, are you thinking about including something in your plugin? That
would be great! I am writing a freeware application so that is no
problem. :-)

2004-09-17 10:54:34 UTC
Post by Carsten Friehe
Hi Christian!
Post by support-9+jg12ILN6UkMvPuQOpXZQXbj/ (Christian Schmitz)
GPL, so I bet I can't make a plugin for commercial software. or?
Oh, are you thinking about including something in your plugin?
Only if you can't live with the shell tool :-)

Mfg
Christian

Carsten Friehe
2004-09-17 09:18:01 UTC
Hi!
Post by Christer Olsson
Calling GPG from shell is easy,
I hope so. :-)
The only thing that is not clear to me is the input of the passphrase.
The whole thing should be for a mail-/newsreader to en- and decrypt
outgoing and incoming mails (not for news :-)).
So eg. the user gets an encrypted mail. He wants to read it and the
appication should decrypt it. The application calls the shellcommand to
decrypt the message. But now I think the shellcommand wants to know the
passphrase. But how does the calling application knows of this? This is
my problem.
Post by Christer Olsson
but then the user must have GPG installed.
This is no problem.

Christer Olsson
2004-09-17 10:00:17 UTC
Post by Carsten Friehe
Hi!
Post by Christer Olsson
Calling GPG from shell is easy,
I hope so. :-)
The only thing that is not clear to me is the input of the passphrase.
The whole thing should be for a mail-/newsreader to en- and decrypt
outgoing and incoming mails (not for news :-)).
So eg. the user gets an encrypted mail. He wants to read it and the
appication should decrypt it. The application calls the shellcommand to
decrypt the message. But now I think the shellcommand wants to know the
passphrase. But how does the calling application knows of this? This is
my problem.
Let the user enter it once for a (decryptetd) preferences file or once per session or once per down-/upload.

Carsten Friehe
2004-09-17 11:02:02 UTC
Hi Christian!
Post by support-9+jg12ILN6UkMvPuQOpXZQXbj/ (Christian Schmitz)
Only if you can't live with the shell tool :-)
:-) Ok. I will see if this is enough.